Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tasting Day


So the Dortmunder Export was in bottles for exactly 2 weeks last night. A Friday night. Hmm, 2 weeks. You know, it takes exactly 2 weeks to fully carbonate beer after bottling. What should I do? What...should...I...do?

I think you know what I did. Oh yes. I did. And I liked doing it.

Let's just say it was tasty -- with a fine, steady effervescence. Not much head retention on the first try. But by the third bottle I learned it was okay to let it slosh in the glass while still pouring carefully enough to keep the sediment in the bottle. After that it, I got a nice creamy foam similar to a good German Pils.

You'll like it too.

And if you don't, well screw ya then. I got mine.

P.S. The second batch (the Ruination clone) is going into bottles today. Just finished sterilizing everything. Will have a case of each for the July 3rd tasting party. Plus the 18 IPA's already at Chopes' house.

P.P.S. Rainus - bring scotch.


4 comments:

Mucous said...

I am so ready for that brew my tasty friend, bring it on. By the way, while I hate to admit Chopes is ever right, it appears the squirrel had found a nut. Dogfish, Doghead, whatever is a fine brew, though 9$ for a 4 pack hurts the wallet. 9% ABV helps the head though. Nice call for The Dot.

Dr. B said...

Sounds good...what is the estimated calorie count on these beers, anyway? Just wondering, for the (semi) health conscious among us. Although, comparatively, I would think that the alcohol is probably more damaging to the body than the calories...but maybe not--excess calories can lead to heart disease and a bunch of other problems, while alcohol kills brain cells (but it's the weak ones that die, so maybe that's for the best)...whatever, just make it cold.

philbony said...

I have no idea about nutritional & caloric content. However, I'll guess these beers will be like most others in their class...~175 calories with B vitamins to boot. Alcohol probably in the 6 to 6-1/2% range. And there are no preservatives or anything artificial. I would never add heart disease to any beer brewed under the Philbony name.

Oh, and remember the colder the beer is the more calories your body has to burn in order to heat it up.

Of course, cold diminishes flavor...

philbony said...

P.S. Sounds like Smitty has plans for Mucous...