Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Take me 'cross the River


Look, I know the news has been pretty dismal lately.  And far be it from me to suggest the worst is yet to come.  But the prophet has spoken:

     Whatcha doin' tonight?
     Well have you heard that the world's gone crazy?
     Young Americans, listen when I say

     There's people putting us down
     I know they're sayin' that we've gone lazy
     To tell you the truth, we've all seen better days

     Don't need no fast buck, lame duck
     profits for fun
     Quick trick plans
     take the money and run

     We need long-term, slow burn
     gettin' it done
     And some straight talkin', hard workin'
     son of a guns

     Come on and take pride, be wise
     spotting the fools
     Big shots, crack pots
     bending the rules

     A fair shot here
     for me and for you
     Knowing that
     we can't lose

When Dennis DeYoung is your prophet of good fortune, you know you're doomed.  Or as the Grateful Dead might say:

     I might be going to Hell in a bucket
     But at least I'm rockin' the Paradise

Tonight.

3 comments:

Dr. B said...

Phil, you have been a busy boy lately...too much for me too comment on here, except to say: Dennis DeYoung? Don't tell me that those lyrics are from something that Liza Minnelli wannabe wrote--and that you listen to! (Says the guy with the complete Mariah Carey collection...beat ya to the punch, a-holes!)

How about this, from the new U2: "I'm gonna go crazy if I can't go crazy tonight!"

philbony said...

This post is wasted irony for Mariah Carey fans.

PS Did you at least get the River reference, Ferryman?

Dr. B said...

I got nuthin'...Bryan Ferry covered Take Me to the River, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood covered Ferry Cross the Mersey. Maybe you were going for the Styx/Ferryman to Hell connection?