Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Comedy in Another's Tragedy


I'm always struck by the inconsistencies in human behavior. This includes amusing quirks to downright ugly pathology. In between, we're treated to hypocritical talk, hollow promises, asymmetric reactions, willful ignorance...you know, people sucking.

As example, I offer the following exchange on a popular social networking site. Let's call it "Head Space".

An old friend from high school has used her status update to announce another former classmate is terminally ill. Just an update for people who, though out of contact for a quarter century, still have no animus toward each other and perhaps a warm memory or two.

The typical responses follow: "oh that's so sad", "tell her I'm praying for her and her family", "she's a kind person", etc. Personally, I found the news sad; a reminder of life's fragility and the good fortune I and my close ones have. She really is / was a nice person. So far no one's sucking too much.

Enter, uh, let's call him "Cleatus", who writes -- again, after nearly 25 years from 1000 miles away about a person with whom he had mere friendly childhood acquaintance: "What can I do...!!!??? Anything, thanks for letting me know."

I guess the reply should be obvious: "Cleat, you're welcome. A cure for cancer would be nice. Or a tray of brownies. Good to hear from you."

Now that's a symmetric response to an asymmetric reaction.

No comments: